imabookshark

The Edge of Never
J.A. Redmerski
Camouflaged
Selena Laurence
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger This book is a LOT to take in. First off, I adore the cover of this book. I always have. However, now it makes a whole lot more sense since I've read the book. It perfectly sums it up.

The time line is hard to keep up with at times. I had to go back and check dates and do math for ages and such, but it was worth it and made about 99% sense in the end. I appreciated alternating points of view, especially since it was in first person, present tense for the most part. Henry and Clare tell their story, and you can see Clare grow up from her dialogue, while Henry always seems grown up like she should be.

It's a strange thing to think about, time travel, especially when there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. It seemed like sometimes Henry knew things and sometimes he didn't. He didn't like to lie, but he hardly wanted to tell people the truth about their futures. He said that things couldn't be changed, but I feel like sometimes they were (see the part about not dating the picture Clare made). When they reached 9/11, he knew it was going to happen already, but he didn't know other stuff about the future. Not knowing how it works or why was frustrating.

The ending wasn't what I was hoping for, though. The reader already knows what's going to happen, and it jumped so many years that it didn't feel like a nice, neat, wrapped-up ending. Plus, it got very sad for a while there. It was a big convoluted and very heavy, but it made me laugh and cry all over the place. Very good story. Now I need to see the movie!

Also, I actually had to look up a couple words. The band name dropping was a bit obnoxious, and all the tiny details were a bit unnecessary. It did strike me that she actually knows the city though.. so that made me happy.