imabookshark

J.A. Redmerski
Camouflaged
Selena Laurence
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor 4.5 stars

This doesn't get the 5 star rating because I didn't really get into this novel until the 150-200 page range. Not that I was bored, I was more confused than anything. Not only did I not know what this book was about AT ALL, I'm not into the mythical angel deal. Once a bit of a love story entered the picture, this book got much more interesting and un-put-downable.

I'm not into angel books, really. Fallen didn't really do it for me. But this one seriously got my attention. This is more than just angels, so maybe that helped. But all the made up stuff was so creative, and it made me want to live in Karou's world, if not actually BE Karou. This book reads like a movie, even if it's slightly cartoony. All the characters jump off the page and become real. Brimstone became one of my favorites. And her friend Zuzana :o)

A couple complaints: Taylor uses a very strange vocabulary in this novel. This is a YA book, but no teen I know uses some of the words in this book. Also, I was confused on the timeline at some points. It felt like things went backwards when I thought they were moving forward. Since she used 3rd person, it was confusing sometimes. And lastly, there was a LOT of background. I get that it was necessary but it was pretty heavy stuff.

I would recommend this book to just about anyone. It's a bit dense, but it's a really creative, imaginative story. It's lovely, heartbreaking, different, and enthralling. I could gush all day right now :o)