imabookshark

The Edge of Never
J.A. Redmerski
Camouflaged
Selena Laurence
Cursed - Jennifer L. Armentrout See full review here!

So far, this is probably my least favorite JLA book. Perhaps it's because of her track record that I have such high expectations for books. This one felt a little generic and overdone. The whole 'gifted' thing and the 'death touch' have been done over and over, and I didn't feel like this one brought anything too new to the table. I usually ADORE her books, but this one fell a little flat to me.

Like always, it has JLA's particular brand of humor, so I did enjoy reading this one. While the story was still interesting and I read this in one sitting, it was just a little frustrating. But that could be from the MC's frustration in being put in her situation. So I did feel with this one. I wanted things to work out for all of them. I never knew who to trust, but I did know who not to trust. That was a little obvious. But Ember, the MC in this one, isn't as snarky as JLA's other female characters. She's easily worked up and, of course, special, but you would never hear her talk the way Alex or Katy do. I kind of liked that about her while I missed the snark at the same time. Weird.

I've been having trouble finishing books lately, so for me to read this book in one day was a big deal. Obviously it's entertaining and interesting enough to break a bit of a slump for me. But like I said above, I guess maybe I hold JLA to different standards, and this one wasn't as good as Obsidian or Half-Blood to me. I'm interested in seeing if she continues this one. While it wraps up pretty nicely, there's definitely an opening if she so chooses. I guess we'll see!