imabookshark

The Edge of Never
J.A. Redmerski
Camouflaged
Selena Laurence
Where We Belong - Emily Giffin I love Emily Giffin, and I was really glad that this dealt with such a difficult topic to even fathom. It's strange and hard on many levels - adoption vs. abortion and finding and meeting biological parents/child. This book opens with Kirby Rose on the doorstep of Marian Caldwell. They're mother and daughter, but they've never met. Oh yeah. And it only gets crazier - baby daddy doesn't know he has a child! And he was the love of Marian's life, and vice versa. What nutty thoughts! How bizarre! And it's a great tale. Giffin spins a great web of confession and closure.

I really liked the fact that this is told from both Kirby's and Marian's point of view. And it's first person, present tense. LOVE that, of course. But you really get to see both sides of this story when it's told this way. Kirby is so determined yet slightly shy and pretty vulnerable. Marian is overwhelmed and full of regret. They're both very nervous women, and it shows! I love the way Giffin writes, and this book is a great example of how she works.

The narrator does a fantastic job of doing the different voices. She's great as both Kirby and Marian. Every time I got in the car I looked forward to listening to this book. I didn't want it to end, and I definitely wanted more before it finished. I won't give anything away, so that's all I will say. Definitely check this out if you like emotional chick reads.