imabookshark

The Edge of Never
J.A. Redmerski
Camouflaged
Selena Laurence
Between the Lines - Jodi Picoult, Samantha van Leer See full review here!

AWWWWW! This book is like every bookworm's dream come true. Who wouldn't want to find out that the book boyfriend in your favorite book was REAL in the pages of the book!? It's such a cute, clever idea. I would love to have been there for a writing session between mother and daughter on this one. The ending is clever, and the whole book is adorable. The audio version of this book is really something special. I love the different narrators for each character, plus the storybook narrator.

One of my favorite things about this book is actually the fact that Delilah's mom is very involved in her life. In so many YA novels, the parents are extremely absent. I can't stand that. It's okay if that's the deal - busy working mom, single father, etc. But when they're "supportive" parents who aren't EVER involved, boooo to that. Delilah's mom was front and center, always worried and wondering about her daughter, trying to get her help when she thought Delilah was nutso. YAY for that!

But mostly I just loved Oliver and Delilah together. As they try to figure out how to get Oliver out of the book, they work together with so many creative strategies. They're determined. All of the side characters are wonderful, too. Rapscullio (or however you spell it - I listened to this, remember) cracked me up because his voice sounded like Hoggle from Labyrinth. The horse, Socks, was too funny with his insecurities. Every character stood out to me!

If you haven't checked out Jodi Picoult, this is NOT the place to start. It is not very representative of her other novels. This is purely a fun, fictional novel written with her daughter. I'd recommend this one to young readers. Picoult's books are much more dense and heavy, written mostly for adult readers. But this one is definitely a good book. :o)