imabookshark

J.A. Redmerski
Camouflaged
Selena Laurence

Anger Mastery

Anger Mastery - Kevin B Burk See full review here!

I received a copy of this book from the author. Here is my honest review:

I'm not going to lie - I kind of hoped this book would be life-changing. I don't know why I expected that (and according to this book, I shouldn't expect unreasonable things like that), but I did want to find a good way to help manage my anger. I'm a generally angry person. I wish I wasn't, but I am. This book didn't enlighten me, but it did give me some helpful tips.

Kevin B. Burk spends a lot of time trying to be hilarious. It works sometimes, and it helps readers forget that they're reading a self-help book. He also reminds readers that they gave him money for this book. A lot. So if you're up for that while trying to stay not angry, good luck. Plus, a good chunk of this is the author repeating what others have said in other places. He uses other people's ideas to seemingly create his own idea. I guess that is the technique he uses to show that his process should work, but the idea of kingdoms of consciousness and his meditation work to feel 'safe' just do not work for me.

Okay.. this isn't a review of the process. This is just a review of the book. Maybe this will flip the switch for other people. I can take away a lot of good stuff from this book, but it's mostly about staying aware and choosing how to react instead of letting the anger get the best of you and turning into The Hulk. It's definitely a process and not an overnight change - on that, the author and I agree!

Where we might disagree is in the fact that this book needs some editing. I have a problem with always editing as I go, and the commas in this book are overwhelmingly unnecessary. The organization of the book makes sense for the most part, as it flows nicely from one idea to the next. It's just a little wordy. But it's funny as it tries to explain the whole concept of anger mastery. I just wasn't expecting all the new vocab and concepts.