imabookshark

J.A. Redmerski
Camouflaged
Selena Laurence

Never Say Never: Finding A Life That Fits

Never Say Never: Finding A Life That Fits - Ricki Lake See full review here!

I received this audio book for review from the publisher. Here is my honest review:

Wow. I had no idea about Ricki Lake's life at ALL. I can't say I was dying to know, but I'm really glad that I listened to her story. Reviewing this audio book is like reviewing her life, but I'll make this work as best I can. I wish I would have taken some notes because I had a lot to say, but it's not all coming back to me right now. Here's what I do remember.

Ricki Lake has been through a lot. Child sexual abuse, long term weight issues, divorce, etc. She's a trooper, though. She's strong and independent. She's in your face and sometimes lucky. Lake has always wanted to be famous, and famous she is. But it's only what co-defines her. She's ALL about her weight. I understand this, but she also LOVES being rich and famous. I definitely got those two things from her life.

Even though she tries to come off as NOT a snob, she surely sounds like that sometimes. Most of the time she's pretty down to earth when she's talking about giving birth and her weight. But the story about the Holiday Inn-type hotel room was just downright bratty. I was almost offended, since I cannot afford much more than a Holiday Inn. I'm not used to luxury though, so I suppose it would be a bit disappointing. Oh well.

She's a bit of a judge, too. She has opinions on everything and everyone. She lives honestly, so she tells it how she feels and how she sees it. But sometimes she's just Judgy McJudgerton. I was never upset by anything she said, but I can see others being mad or offended. She seems to conveniently not remember some things, and then she makes it easy to find out what she really means when she tries to change names. Again, oh well.

This audio book is read by the author, so you hear everything as she meant it to come across. As an actress, she should have been better at speaking slower, but that's alright. I was never lost by her narrative, but she could have slowed down. She's hilarious, though. I laughed quite a bit, especially when she talked about the internet dating. Plus, she seems to like the f-word just as much as I do.

As for the book itself, I felt like the chapters were disorganized and a bit all over the place. The chapter would be called, "I will never be on Dancing with the Stars" and she's off talking about her relationship with her now-husband, Christian. And she talks a LOT about being naked and getting it on. Thanks for being so honest, Ricki. We love you :o)